S-BCFBusiness Continuity Foundation certification
Business Continuity Foundation
About the course
Business Continuity Foundation (BCF) provides you with a comprehensive introduction to business continuity planning and management.
During the course, you will work with a business continuity management process model, a step-by-step guide developed by practicing Business Continuity Managers based on ISO 22301 and ISO 22313, the most widely used international business continuity management standards. As you move along in the course, you will understand what steps you need to take to build an effective business continuity program, and how business continuity planning affects your organisation’s operational activities. At the end of the course, you will have a good understanding of business continuity management terminology, concepts and principles, and you will be able to contribute to your organisation’s continuity efforts at the operational level.
- Gain a full understanding of the business continuity planning process;
- Benefit from the insights of practicing business continuity specialists;
- Prepare for your certification assessment with a free sample exam.
This is an entry-level course. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
The course is suitable for absolute beginners who would like to learn the fundamentals of business continuity management. If you already have a good understanding of business continuity management principles and you are interested in practicing a Business Continuity Officer’s tasks, we advise you to register for the Practitioner level.
About the certificate
Core business continuity skills you will validate with your SECO-BCF (S-BCF) certificate
By passing the BCF certification exam and earning a SECO-Business Continuity Foundation (S-BCF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Understand business continuity management terminology and concepts;
- Understand what focus areas a business continuity program needs to address to ensure appropriate protection against business continuity threats;
- Describe the activities that form part of the business continuity planning process, from preliminary maturity assessment to testing and improvement;
- Understand how an internal business continuity organisation is built up;
- Grasp the fundamentals of developing a strategic business continuity policy;
- Understand the basics of threat and vulnerability analyses and business impact analyses;
- Recall the contents of a comprehensive business continuity plan;
- Describe how business continuity tests are prepared, performed and evaluated.
What are the benefits of an S-BCF certificate?
An S-BCF certificate demonstrates that you have an overall understanding of the most important aspects of business continuity planning and management. If you are considering a career in business continuity or resilience management, S-BCF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the industry and advance your skills with higher-level continuity and resilience trainings.
The certificate is particularly suitable for facility managers, security professionals and quality officers seeking career advancement. If you work in a similar role, S-BCF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a business continuity manager, coordinator or consultant.
S-BCF also has benefits for information security specialists who need to collaborate with business continuity officers to provide the necessary coverage their organisation needs to remain functional in the face of threats. As a security specialist, your ability to perceive business continuity risks and liaise with business continuity teams will considerable improve your efficacy and may even open you to new career opportunities – for example, an information security & business continuity manager or corporate resilience officer position.
Who should certify?
S-BCF is intended for all those who have a general interest in protecting their enterprise against threats and raising business continuity awareness across their organisation.
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are considering a career in business continuity, resilience management or disaster recovery;
- You are a facility manager responsible for physical sites and the continuity of their internal operations;
- You are an information security professional and you need to cooperate with a business continuity team to ensure that your organisation is well protected;
- You are a start-up founder or an SME owner, and you need a solid game plan to deal with possible disasters;
- You would like to enhance your value to employers by demonstrating a high degree of business continuity awareness.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
If you prefer to prepare by self-study, make sure that you fully understand the requirements before you book your exam. Download the exam syllabus and the sample exam to familiarise yourself with the structure and topic areas of the certification exam.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please refer to the SECO Examination Guide.
S-BCF certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO-Business Continuity Foundation certification exam, you will receive the S-BCF certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.
For more information on the certification process, please refer to the SECO Certifications Guide.