Dark Web Practitioner
Comprehensive and practical dive into the Dark Web technologies, such as TOR and I2P. Including certification exam
Dark Web Practitioner offers a comprehensive and practical dive into the Dark Web technologies, such as TOR and I2P. During the course, you will understand the technology behind different Dark Webs. You will use dark search engines and other techniques to find sites on the Dark Web. To better understand the technology, you will learn to set up your own hidden service. You will learn to investigate sites and blockchains combined with OSINT techniques. The course will end in a Capture The Flag exercise that allow you to combine and apply all the knowledge and research techniques that you’ve learned during the training.
Bas van den Berg
Author & Trainer
CTO at Skopos.AI
Chief Hacking Officer
CEO at SPARTA
Author & Trainer
Subject Matter Expert at ENISA
Jeroen de Wit
Associate Partner, Threat Management
– EMEA at IBM
At a Glance
Dark Web Practitioner
This course is for professionals that want a comprehensive and practical dive into the Dark Web technologies.
Understand the technology behind different Dark Webs.
Use dark search engines and other techniques to find sites on the Dark Web.
Learn to set up your own hidden service.
Learn to investigate sites and blockchains combined with OSINT techniques.
- Official SECO-Institute course materials
- Training from passionate instructors with exceptional skills
- Access to the SECO member portal
- Practice exam
- Exam voucher
- Membership to SECO’s Alumni Network after passing the exam
Introduction, recap, I2P network and TOR network
Introduction to the course, its learning objectives and the topics covered and a short recap of the topics found in the Foundation course (blockchain, PGP, Dark Web, TOR, Dark Markets).
- Candidates understand the Dark Web and the technologies used.
- Candidates understand the use of PGP.
- Candidates know what hidden services and markets can be found on the Dark Web.
- Candidates can find Dark Web sites.
- Candidates understand how to navigate a blockchain.
An overview and explanation of different techniques used to create the dark web using I2P
and more technical explanation of the techniques used in the TOR network. Including
exercises how to run a hidden service and connect and get around the I2P network. Also
explains the differences between the two networks (use cases, strengths, onion routing
versus garlic routing). With practical exercises you will setup your own hidden service and
discover hidden services on the I2P Dark Web.
- Candidates understand the techniques behind the TOR network in more depth.
- Candidates understand how to setup a hidden service.
- Candidates know how I2P works and what the differences are between I2P and
- Candidates understand onion routing as well as garlic routing.
OSINT, Bitcoin and Blockchain
A deep dive in general Clear Web (OSINT) techniques with exercises. Explaining how to
use these techniques to uncover Dark Web Operations. Finding hidden services and
combining techniques to find personal details or technical details behind Dark Web
operations. Crawling the TOR network using turbot and using turbot to find information on
the TOR network. The candidate will also find hidden services that are used by
ransomware gangs to show their successful attacks.
- Candidates can apply OSINT techniques used on the Clear Web and apply these techniques on the Dark Web.
- Candidate is able to find PGP fingerprints
- Candidate is able to reverse image search
- Candidate is able to use advanced search engine techniques
- Candidate is able to use search engines to find hidden services
- Candidate is able to use forums and pastebins to find sites on the Dark Web
- Candidate is able to download and use turbot to setup a personal Dark Web crawler.
The candidates will learn how to use tools to do chain analysis: finding patterns and following transaction using a blockchain. We will look at different blockchains, like Bitcoin and Monero, to see the differences.
- Candidates can apply chain analysis of different blockchains.
- Candidates can apply chain analysis to link information together.
- Candidates understand different types of blockchains.
- Candidates understand how Monero works and how it is different from Bitcoin.
During the Capture The Flag exercise an elaborate investigation will be conducted to uncover information on a certain Dark Web criminal. Several flags can be found during the exercise.
Collect your badge of honor
- Language: English
- Delivered: Online via a certified proctor
- Questions: 10 multiple-choice questions, 5 open questions
- Time: 120 minutes
- In addition to the theory exam, a practical exam will also be held on the last day of this course in the form of a “Capture the flag challenge”