S-CMFCrisis Management Foundation certification
About the certificate
Core crisis management skills you will validate with your SECO-CMF (S-CMF) certificate
By passing the CMF certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Identify a crisis situation;
- Correctly identify crisis-stages and the actions appropriate to each stage;
- Understand the importance of the “golden hour”;
- Understand the structure and function of crisis management, support, communication, damage assessment and recovery teams;
- Identify priorities in the event of a crisis;
- Understand the fundamental principles of reputation management;
- Perform a basic stakeholder analysis for crisis communications;
Apply basic employee and media crisis communications principles.
What are the benefits of an S-CMF certificate?
An S-CMF certificate demonstrates that you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of crisis management, reputation management and crisis communications. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the industry and advance your skills with higher-level crisis management trainings.
The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals in public relations, business and administration, facility management and security. If you work in a similar role, S-CMF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, or a crisis manager.
S-CMF also has benefits for managers and start-up owners who are new to crisis management and wish to prepare for implementing a crisis management plan in their organisation.
Who should certify?
S-CMF is intended for all those who have a general interest in crisis management and crisis communications.
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are considering a career as a crisis communications specialist, a crisis coordinator or a crisis manager;
- You are a facility manager responsible for safety on the company site;
- You are a human resource professional responsible for workplace safety and security matters;
- You are a manager and you need to provide leadership during a crisis;
- You would like to enhance your value to employers by demonstrating a high degree of crisis management awareness.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please have a look at the SECO Examination Guide.
S-CMF certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation certification exam, you will receive the S-CMF certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.
For more information on the certification process, please refer to the SECO Certifications Guide