S-CMFCrisis Management Foundation certification
About the course
Crisis Management Foundation (CMF) introduces you to the fundamentals of effective crisis management and crisis communications. In the course, you will familiarise yourself with the crisis management lifecycle, and you will learn what activities you need to perform in each crisis-stage to work towards successful recovery. You will understand how an internal crisis organisation functions and what resources it needs to perform its tasks. You will acquire the basics of crisis management planning and reputation management; and you will gain insight into best practices for managing employee and media communications during a crisis.
- Learn crisis management from practicing crisis managers;
- Apply your newly acquired crisis management skills to fictive crisis scenarios.
This is an entry-level course. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
The course is suitable for absolute beginners interested in learning the basics of crisis management and crisis communications. If you already have a good understanding of crisis management principles and you would like to gain more in-depth knowledge, we advise you to register for the Practitioner level.
About the certificate
Core crisis management skills you will validate with your SECO-CMF (S-CMF) certificate
By passing the CMF certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Identify a crisis situation;
- Correctly identify crisis-stages and the actions appropriate to each stage;
- Understand the importance of the “golden hour”;
- Understand the structure and function of crisis management, support, communication, damage assessment and recovery teams;
- Identify priorities in the event of a crisis;
- Understand the fundamental principles of reputation management;
- Perform a basic stakeholder analysis for crisis communications;
Apply basic employee and media crisis communications principles.
What are the benefits of an S-CMF certificate?
An S-CMF certificate demonstrates that you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of crisis management, reputation management and crisis communications. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the industry and advance your skills with higher-level crisis management trainings.
The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals in public relations, business and administration, facility management and security. If you work in a similar role, S-CMF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, or a crisis manager.
S-CMF also has benefits for managers and start-up owners who are new to crisis management and wish to prepare for implementing a crisis management plan in their organisation.
Who should certify?
S-CMF is intended for all those who have a general interest in crisis management and crisis communications.
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are considering a career as a crisis communications specialist, a crisis coordinator or a crisis manager;
- You are a facility manager responsible for safety on the company site;
- You are a human resource professional responsible for workplace safety and security matters;
- You are a manager and you need to provide leadership during a crisis;
- You would like to enhance your value to employers by demonstrating a high degree of crisis management awareness.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please download the SECO Examination Guide.
S-CMF certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation certification exam, you will receive the S-CMF certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.