S-CMPCrisis Management Practitioner certification
About the course
Crisis Management Practitioner (CMP) prepares you for successful progression into a crisis management role. In this course, you will learn the essentials of implementing a crisis management and communications process in your organisation, and you will practice your crisis management and crisis communications skills with increasingly complex crisis scenarios. At the end of the course, you will be able to set up an internal crisis organisation and handle a crisis in line with crisis management best practices.
- Learn crisis management from practicing crisis managers;
- Gain hands-on crisis management experience through realistic crisis simulations.
A good understanding of fundamental crisis management terms and concepts is required.
About the certificate
Core crisis management skills you will validate with your SECO-CMP (S-CMP) certificate
The CMP certification exam tests your real-world crisis management skills. By passing the CMP certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Practitioner (S-CMP) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Identify roles, responsibilities and competencies for an internal crisis organisation;
- Allocate resources to the crisis management organisation;
- Identify reputational risks and continuity risks;
- Draw up a crisis management plan;
- Handle a crisis in line with crisis management best practices;
- Evaluate your crisis management plan and identify areas for improvement;
- Chair a crisis management team meeting;
- Inform employees about a crisis;
- Monitor media during a crisis;
- Compile a basic external crisis communications strategy, with a special focus on handling social media and the press;
- Draft a crisis press release.
What are the benefits of an S-CMP certificate?
An S-CMP certificate enables you to demonstrate core competencies employers look for in crisis management professionals: the ability to lead a crisis team, the ability to contribute to planning and strategy, the ability to actively mitigate a crisis situation, and the ability to analyse performance and propose measures. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMP is an important step to take towards your goal.
The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals who are actively working towards a career as a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, a crisis coordinator, or a crisis manager.
Who should certify?
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You work in facility, security or human resources and you have ambitions for a career in crisis management;
- You are a communications or public relations professional and you would like to become a confident crisis communicator;
- You are a manager or CEO looking to organise a crisis team and implement crisis management in your organisation.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please download the SECO Examination Guide.
S-CMP certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO Crisis Management Practitioner certification exam, you will receive the S-BCP certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.
As a prerequisite to renewing your certification, you have to meet Continuing Professional Education (CPE) requirements. CPE requirements can be met by attending workshops, conferences and webinars, publishing articles, providing training, and performing other similar activities that help you maintain your professional competencies.
For more information on the certification process and Continued Professional Education (CPE) requirements, please download the SECO Certifications Guide.