S-CMPCrisis Management Practitioner certification
About the certificate
Core crisis management skills you will validate with your SECO-CMP (S-CMP) certificate
The CMP certification exam tests your real-world crisis management skills. By passing the CMP certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Practitioner (S-CMP) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Identify roles, responsibilities and competencies for an internal crisis organisation;
- Allocate resources to the crisis management organisation;
- Identify reputational risks and continuity risks;
- Draw up a crisis management plan;
- Handle a crisis in line with crisis management best practices;
- Evaluate your crisis management plan and identify areas for improvement;
- Chair a crisis management team meeting;
- Inform employees about a crisis;
- Monitor media during a crisis;
- Compile a basic external crisis communications strategy, with a special focus on handling social media and the press;
- Draft a crisis press release.
What are the benefits of an S-CMP certificate?
An S-CMP certificate enables you to demonstrate core competencies employers look for in crisis management professionals: the ability to lead a crisis team, the ability to contribute to planning and strategy, the ability to actively mitigate a crisis situation, and the ability to analyse performance and propose measures. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMP is an important step to take towards your goal.
The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals who are actively working towards a career as a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, a crisis coordinator, or a crisis manager.
Who should certify?
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You work in facility, security or human resources and you have ambitions for a career in crisis management;
- You are a communications or public relations professional and you would like to become a confident crisis communicator;
- You are a manager or CEO looking to organise a crisis team and implement crisis management in your organisation.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
We offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
Download a few Sample Exam Questions here to see what types of questions you can expect at the certification exam.
Download the free Complete Sample Exam and Exam Syllabus at our member site to prepare even better. Use the syllabus to get a complete overview of the exam’s topic areas, and use the sample exam to practice with more questions.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please download the SECO Examination Guide.
S-CMP certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO Crisis Management Practitioner certification exam, you will receive an exam certificate. To turn your exam certificate into a verifiable qualification that can improve your career prospects, you need to unlock your S-CMP certification title in the (S)ECO-System, our professional community. By unlocking your certification title, you acquire the right to add the professional designation “certified Crisis Management Practitioner” to your name. You also receive a secure digital badge you can add to your CV, LinkedIn or digital portfolio to verify your competence to employers, clients and the professional community.
Have you already passed the exam? Unlock your S-CMP title now to give your career a boost.
Your SECO Practitioner credentials will be valid for a year. To keep your Practitioner certification title and digital badge active, you will need to re-certify every year by paying a small annual maintenance fee (€75) and reporting at least 20 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits in the (S)ECO-System. As a certified member of the (S)ECO-System, you will also have opportunities to collect CPE credits by attending webinars and accessing other professional knowledge resources.