S-ITSPIT-Security Practitioner certification
About the certificate
Core IT security skills you will validate with your SECO-ITSP (S-ISF) certificate
The ITSP certification exam tests your real-world IT security skills. By passing the certification exam and earning a SECO-IT-Security Practitioner (S-ITSP) certificate, you demonstrate that you possess the top competencies of a successful IT security professional.
In particular, an S-ITSP certificate attests to your ability to:
- Translate relevant legal, regulatory and standard requirements and industry-best practices to a company-wide cybersecurity framework;
- Handle security incidents in line with incident management best practices, with special regard to the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) Good Practice Guide for Incident Management;
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of switches, routers, gateways, firewalls and intrusion detection systems;
- Design a secure network architecture;
- Apply basic Windows and Linux hardening techniques;
- Develop an implement a patch management policy;
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of application vulnerabilities and apply basic application hardening techniques;
- Identify security measures to counter the OWASP Top 10;
- Apply encryption to protect communications, file systems and files;
- Implement role-based access control;
- Use penetration testing tools to access a system and exploit an SQL injection vulnerability
What are the benefits of an S-ITSP certificate?
An S-ITSP certificate enables you to demonstrate core technical competencies employers look for in IT security professionals: vulnerability management, incident management, firewall and network security, security architecture and penetration testing– and all that combined with management skills and business insights. This unique combination will allow you to assume a more senior security role, or continue your learning path to becoming a high-level security specialist.
Who should certify?
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are a security administrator, analyst, architect, auditor or consultant, and you are looking to transition to an IT security management role;
- You are planning to continue your IT security learning path all the way to becoming a Security Operations Centre (SOC) Analyst;
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
If you prefer to prepare by self-study, make sure that you fully understand the requirements before you book your exam. Download the sample exam to familiarise yourself with the structure and topic areas of the certification exam.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please refer to the SECO Examination Guide.
S-ITSP certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO IT-Security Practitioner certification exam, you will receive the S-ITSP certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.
As a prerequisite to renewing your certification, you have to meet Continuing Professional Education (CPE) requirements. CPE requirements can be met by attending workshops, conferences and webinars, publishing articles, providing training, and performing other similar activities that help you maintain your professional competencies.
For more information on the certification process and Continued Professional Education (CPE) requirements, please refer to the SECO Certifications Guide.