S-BCPBusiness Continuity Practitioner certification
Business Continuity Practitioner
About the course
Business Continuity Practitioner (BCP) takes you deep into the practical application of business continuity management principles and prepares you for successful progression into a business continuity role. In this course, you will build up the knowledge and skills you need to create and manage an effective business continuity program. You will learn how to identify and prioritise business continuity threats, compile an effective business continuity plan, organise a business continuity team, and conduct tests and exercises to evaluate the effectiveness of your business continuity initiatives.
- Immerse yourself in the pragmatics of business continuity, emergency response, crisis management and recovery planning;
- Gain hands-on business continuity experience through case studies and fictive scenarios;
- Benefit from the insights of practicing business continuity specialists.
SECO-Business Continuity Foundation (S-BCF) certificate or equivalent is recommended.
About the certificate
Core business continuity skills you will validate with your S-BCP certificate
The Business Continuity Practitioner certification exam tests your real-world business continuity management skills.
By passing the BCP certification exam and earning a SECO-Business Continuity Practitioner (S-BCP) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Perform threat and vulnerability analyses to identify threats to your organisation;
- Perform business impact analyses to identify critical business functions, processes and resources;
- Prioritise threats and identify appropriate continuity measures;
- Establish maximum tolerable downtime (MTPD) and recovery time objective (RTO) for your processes;
- Draft and implement a business continuity plan;
- Determine key performance indicators for your business continuity plan;
- Draw up and implement an emergency response plan in line with the applicable legal and regulatory requirements;
- Understand the fundamental principles of crisis management planning and internal and external crisis communications;
- Identify roles, responsibilities, competencies and key performance indicators for the internal crisis organisation;
- Identify recovery activities and priorities, and draw up a continuity of operations plan to ensure the availability of critical personnel and resources;
Identify business continuity training and exercise needs, draft and plan BCM exercises, and determine key performance indicators for BCM testing.
What are the benefits of an S-BCP certificate?
An S-BCP certificate enables you to demonstrate core competencies employers look for in business continuity and resilience professionals: the ability to anticipate, analyse and prioritise threats, the ability to compile, monitor and improve continuity and recovery plans, and the ability to plan and run complex exercises. If you are considering a career in business continuity or resilience management, S-BCP is an excellent way to set yourself on the path.
As technology develops and security threats evolve, demand for business continuity professionals grows in every sector, from healthcare to financial services and public administration. The most sought-after job roles in the industry include business continuity manager, business continuity coordinator, business continuity consultant, and corporate resilience manager.
Who should certify?
S-BCP is intended for all professionals who seek to build a career in business continuity or organisational resilience.
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are an information security professional, facility manager or quality officer with ambitions to build a career in business continuity;
- You would like to continue your learning path all the way to becoming a business continuity manager, business continuity advisor or corporate resilience manager.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please refer to the SECO Examination Guide.
S-BCP certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO Business Continuity Practitioner certification exam, you will receive the S-BCP certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.
As a prerequisite to renewing your certification, you have to meet Continuing Professional Education (CPE) requirements. CPE requirements can be met by attending workshops, conferences and webinars, publishing articles, providing training, and performing other similar activities that help you maintain your professional competencies.
For more information on the certification process and Continued Professional Education (CPE) requirements, please refer to the SECO Certifications Guide.