S-BCPBusiness Continuity Practitioner certification
Business Continuity Practitioner
About the course
Business Continuity Practitioner (BCP) takes you deep into the practical application of business continuity management principles and prepares you for successful progression into a business continuity role. In this course, you will build up the knowledge and skills you need to create and manage an effective business continuity program. You will learn how to identify and prioritise business continuity threats, compile an effective business continuity plan, organise a business continuity team, and conduct tests and exercises to evaluate the effectiveness of your business continuity initiatives.
- Immerse yourself in the pragmatics of business continuity, emergency response, crisis management and recovery planning;
- Gain hands-on business continuity experience through case studies and fictive scenarios;
- Benefit from the insights of practicing business continuity specialists.
SECO-Business Continuity Foundation (S-BCF) certificate or equivalent is recommended.
About the certificate
Core business continuity skills you will validate with your S-BCP certificate
The Business Continuity Practitioner certification exam tests your real-world business continuity management skills.
By passing the BCP certification exam and earning a SECO-Business Continuity Practitioner (S-BCP) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to
- Perform threat and vulnerability analyses to identify threats to your organisation;
- Perform business impact analyses to identify critical business functions, processes and resources;
- Prioritise threats and identify appropriate continuity measures;
- Establish maximum tolerable downtime (MTPD) and recovery time objective (RTO) for your processes;
- Draft and implement a business continuity plan;
- Determine key performance indicators for your business continuity plan;
- Draw up and implement an emergency response plan in line with the applicable legal and regulatory requirements;
- Understand the fundamental principles of crisis management planning and internal and external crisis communications;
- Identify roles, responsibilities, competencies and key performance indicators for the internal crisis organisation;
- Identify recovery activities and priorities, and draw up a continuity of operations plan to ensure the availability of critical personnel and resources;
Identify business continuity training and exercise needs, draft and plan BCM exercises, and determine key performance indicators for BCM testing.
What are the benefits of an S-BCP certificate?
An S-BCP certificate enables you to demonstrate core competencies employers look for in business continuity and resilience professionals: the ability to anticipate, analyse and prioritise threats, the ability to compile, monitor and improve continuity and recovery plans, and the ability to plan and run complex exercises. If you are considering a career in business continuity or resilience management, S-BCP is an excellent way to set yourself on the path.
As technology develops and security threats evolve, demand for business continuity professionals grows in every sector, from healthcare to financial services and public administration. The most sought-after job roles in the industry include business continuity manager, business continuity coordinator, business continuity consultant, and corporate resilience manager.
Who should certify?
S-BCP is intended for all professionals who seek to build a career in business continuity or organisational resilience.
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are an information security professional, facility manager or quality officer with ambitions to build a career in business continuity;
- You would like to continue your learning path all the way to becoming a business continuity manager, business continuity advisor or corporate resilience manager.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please refer to the SECO Examination Guide.
S-BCP certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO Business Continuity Practitioner certification exam, you will receive an exam certificate. To turn your exam certificate into a verifiable qualification that can improve your career prospects, you need to unlock your S-BCP certification title in the (S)ECO-System, our professional community. By unlocking your certification title, you acquire the right to add the professional designation “certified Business Continuity Practitioner” to your name. You also receive a secure digital badge you can add to your CV, LinkedIn or digital portfolio to verify your competence to employers, clients and the professional community.
Have you already passed the exam? Unlock your S-BCP title now to give your career a boost.
Your SECO Practitioner credentials will be valid for a year. To keep your Practitioner certification title and digital badge active, you will need to re-certify every year by paying a small annual maintenance fee (€75) and reporting at least 20 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits in the (S)ECO-System. As a certified member of the (S)ECO-System, you will also have opportunities to collect CPE credits by attending webinars and accessing other professional knowledge resources.