S-ITSFIT-Security Foundation certification
About the course
IT-Security Foundation provides you with a comprehensive introduction to IT security. In this course, you will be able to build your IT security knowledge from the ground up. You will learn what components make up an IT infrastructure and what vulnerabilities each component may have. You will also understand how attackers exploit common vulnerabilities and what tools you can use to prevent exploitation. At the end of the course, you will have a global understanding of IT security without having to immerse yourself deeply in information technology.
The knowledge you obtain in this course readies you for the next (Practitioner) level, where you will accomplish hands-on Security Manager assignments, such as designing a security architecture and writing a patch management policy.
- Get a practical overview of common hardware, software, network, database and cloud vulnerabilities and protections;
- Benefit from the insights of practicing Security Managers and cybersecurity advisors;
- Prepare for your certification assessment with a free sample exam.
This is an entry-level course. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
Familiarity with the most commonly used IT terms is recommended.
The course is suitable for absolute beginners with a basic knowledge of computers and technology. If you already have a good understanding of IT security principles and you are interested in practicing a Security Manger’s tasks, we advise you to register for the Practitioner level.
About the certificate
Core IT security skills you will validate with your SECO-ITSF (S-ITSF) certificate
IT-Security Foundation equips you with the knowledge and skills you need to lay the foundations of your IT security education and career.
By passing the ITSF certification exam and earning a SECO-IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certificate, you demonstrate that you:
- Have a basic understanding of computer architecture;
- Understand common hardware vulnerabilities and security measures;
- Understand operating system architecture and operating system vulnerabilities;
- Can identify effective security measures against malicious software;
- Have a good understanding of TCP/ IP networking;
- Understand the basics of network attacks and countermeasures;
- Have a good understanding of software and application vulnerabilities (OWASP top 10);
- Understand the basics of database vulnerabilities and countermeasures;
- Understand the fundamentals of symmetric, asymmetric and hybrid encryption;
- Understand how digital signatures and Public Key Infrastructures work;
- Understand how Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) work;
- Understand the importance of TLS, SSL, IPsec, S/MIME and Pretty Good Privacy;
- Understand the fundamentals of identity and access management;
- Understand the risks involved in using the Cloud;
- Understand the security threat landscape (attackers, attack tools and attack methods).
What are the benefits of an S-ITSF certificate?
An S-ITSF certificate demonstrates that you have an overall understanding of IT security challenges and best-practice remedies. If you are considering a career in IT security, S-ITSF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the security industry and advance your skills with higher-level security trainings.
The certificate is particularly suitable for network and system administrators seeking career advancement. If you work in a similar role, S-ITSF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a security administrator, security auditor, security engineer, security analyst or penetration tester.
S-ITSF also has benefits for managers whose work involves regular communication with IT (security) specialists. If you work with security professionals, or if your business decisions affect the IT domain, the ability to perceive IT security risks and liaise with security professionals can considerably improve your efficacy as a manager. Depending on your interests and background, S-ITSF may even open you to new career opportunities – for example, a project or change management position in an IT or information security-related environment.
Who should certify
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are a network or system administrator and you have ambitions to start a career in IT security;
- You are an aspiring security professional with little technical affinity and a need to improve your technical security knowledge;
- You work with IT and IT security professionals, and you wish to improve your cooperation.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We also offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
If you prefer to prepare by self-study, make sure that you fully understand the requirements before you book your exam. Download the exam syllabus and the sample exam to familiarise yourself with the structure and topic areas of the certification exam.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please refer to the SECO Examination Guide.
S-ITSF certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO IT-Security Foundation certification exam, you will receive the S-ITSF certification title and a digital badge. Your credentials will grant you a one-year SECO membership. After your certification expires, you will have the option to re-certify by paying a small fee.
For more information on the certification process, please refer to the SECO Certifications Guide.