S-ITSFIT-Security Foundation certification
About the certificate
Core IT security skills you will validate with your SECO-ITSF (S-ITSF) certificate
IT-Security Foundation equips you with the knowledge and skills you need to lay the foundations of your IT security education and career.
By passing the ITSF certification exam and earning a SECO-IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certificate, you demonstrate that you:
- Have a basic understanding of computer architecture;
- Understand common hardware vulnerabilities and security measures;
- Understand operating system architecture and operating system vulnerabilities;
- Can identify effective security measures against malicious software;
- Have a good understanding of TCP/ IP networking;
- Understand the basics of network attacks and countermeasures;
- Have a good understanding of software and application vulnerabilities (OWASP top 10);
- Understand the basics of database vulnerabilities and countermeasures;
- Understand the fundamentals of symmetric, asymmetric and hybrid encryption;
- Understand how digital signatures and Public Key Infrastructures work;
- Understand how Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) work;
- Understand the importance of TLS, SSL, IPsec, S/MIME and Pretty Good Privacy;
- Understand the fundamentals of identity and access management;
- Understand the risks involved in using the Cloud;
- Understand the security threat landscape (attackers, attack tools and attack methods).
What are the benefits of an S-ITSF certificate?
An S-ITSF certificate demonstrates that you have an overall understanding of IT security challenges and best-practice remedies. If you are considering a career in IT security, S-ITSF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the security industry and advance your skills with higher-level security trainings.
The certificate is particularly suitable for network and system administrators seeking career advancement. If you work in a similar role, S-ITSF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a security administrator, security auditor, security engineer, security analyst or penetration tester.
S-ITSF also has benefits for managers whose work involves regular communication with IT (security) specialists. If you work with security professionals, or if your business decisions affect the IT domain, the ability to perceive IT security risks and liaise with security professionals can considerably improve your efficacy as a manager. Depending on your interests and background, S-ITSF may even open you to new career opportunities – for example, a project or change management position in an IT or information security-related environment.
Who should certify
The course and the certificate are ideal for you, if
- You are a network or system administrator and you have ambitions to start a career in IT security;
- You are an aspiring security professional with little technical affinity and a need to improve your technical security knowledge;
- You work with IT and IT security professionals, and you wish to improve your cooperation.
How to prepare for the certification exam?
You can prepare for your certification exam by taking a course or by self-study.
We offer classroom training through our accredited education partners. To find a course in your country, visit the Get Trained page.
If you prefer to prepare by self-study, you can buy a self-study kit here.
Download a few Sample Exam Questions here to see what types of questions you can expect at the certification exam.
Download the free Complete Sample Exam and Exam Syllabus at our member site to prepare even better. Use the syllabus to get a complete overview of the exam’s topic areas, and use the sample exam to practice with more questions.
How to book a certification exam?
You can take your certification exam at an accredited exam centre or online.
For more information on the exam, please refer to the SECO Examination Guide.
S-ITSF certificate and digital badge
Upon successful completion of a SECO IT-Security Foundation certification exam, you will receive an exam certificate. To turn your exam certificate into a verifiable qualification that can improve your career prospects, you need to unlock your S-ITSF certification title in the (S)ECO-System, our professional community. By unlocking your certification title, you acquire the right to add the professional designation “certified IT-Security Foundation Professional” to your name. You also receive a secure digital badge you can add to your CV, LinkedIn or digital portfolio to verify your competence to employers, clients and the professional community.
Your SECO Foundation credentials will be entirely free of charge and valid for a lifetime.
Have you already passed the exam? Unlock your S-ITSF title now to give your career a boost.